The Major Experience: Social Science

Happy Monday Everyone! We’re back at it again with another major experience! This week I interviewed Jacob Rohn and asked him about his experience as a social science major!

Name: Jacob Rohn

Year in School:  4th Year, Senior

Major:  Social Science

How did you come about picking Stanislaus State as your college?

CSU Stanislaus is only 15 minutes away from my house and 5 minutes away from where I work, so it was almost a no brainer.

What brought you to becoming a Social Science major?

When I first started at Stan State, I didn’t know if I wanted to be a history teacher or go into criminal justice.  With Social Science, I could take classes in both until I made up my mind.

What kind of career options does your major prepare you for?

It all depends on what concentrations you choose.  I originally picked history and criminal justice. After taking some classes and realizing I want to go into law enforcement, I added sociology as my final concentration.  There are lots of different fields to pick from, it all depends on what interests you.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken so far?

My favorite class so far would probably be PHIL 1010.  I liked the professor that taught that class. He made every class session fun and relatable, which is hard when talking about philosophers.

What’s your least favorite class?

Any class at 8am. It doesn’t matter what it is, I don’t care for early classes and do everything in my power to avoid them.

What are you planning on doing after you receive your degree in Social Science?

After graduation I plan on applying for the soonest police academy and hope to get a job with the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department.

Thank you Jacob for sharing your major experience with us! What majors do you want to hear about next? Let me know in the comments!